Pages

Monday, August 17, 2015

Pictures of the Past

by Deby Eisenberg

I just about gave up after the first 3 or 4 chapters.  I like books that go back and forth between time periods and/or characters but this one jumped between 3 or more time periods and characters in too close succession.  The fact that it was an unedited ebook probably added to the confusion.  I think the beginning of the book was not the place because it seemed too scrambled.  I need to someplace or character to grab onto.

If this had been a library book I would have returned it unread.  Being it was a free galley I felt like I should give it harder try.  It did get better the further in I got.  And I actually liked it.  The characters were likable and it came together in the end.

I had never heard about the ships that carried the Jews to America but were not permitted to land and had to turn back to Europe.  It was heartbreaking.  And to learn of the propaganda that Hitler had sent on to America and Cuba before the ships sailed to slant their feelings towards the Jews was an interesting part of the book. 

Overall a good book that could have been better.

No comments: