Pages

Thursday, January 10, 2008

The Last Battle


by C. S. Lewis

The last in The Chronicles of Narnia series iss a short, quick read. Aslan shows up unexpectedly and commands the people and animals to do things that appear contrary to his previous benevolent teachings and actions. King Tirian is beside himself and calls for help from Eustace and Jill. Of course, it is not the real Aslan but a donkey dressed up in a lion's costume who only appears to his subjects at night. That symbolism made me smile.

As the title suggests this is the last great battle and is symbolic of the last battle talked about in the Book of Revelations in the Bible.

I enjoyed reading this series very much, but felt this book ended a bit too abruptly. My mind didn't stay focused on it as well as the others in the series. Can't say as it was the book's fault or mine. I may give it another try in the future.

I do love this cover and would like to buy the whole series with this type of artwork, but I've been unable to locate them. I bought what was advertised as this, but I received a different set. Guess all I can do is keep my eyes open.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you loved this series. I did as well. So much fun, and I too loved the symbolism. I thought the end was quite sad though...about Susan I mean. I won't spoil it, but you know what I mean! Loved the book! Great post!

Framed said...

I'm going to start this series for the First In Series Challenge. It's about time, don't you think?

Booklogged said...

Katie, I agree about Susan. You have an awesome memory!

Framed, it is good to finally read something we've heard about for years. Even better when we discover how good the stuff is.

heather (errantdreams) said...

It's been SO many years since I read the Lewis books. I should really read them again...

Cardine said...

Yes, poor Susan. I was sad about that, too. I love this series.

Darcie said...

I haven't read this series but agree that I like this cover better than the others I have seen.

jenclair said...

My kids loved these books. I read the first 2 to them, but they took over from there. They were not a part of my childhood reading, but I found them after reading Tolkien and loved reading them to my girls who read and reread them to death.

Anonymous said...

I love the set you have shown a picture of, they sell it in the shops near me but I have an old set. I enjoyed The Last Battle but found it a bit much that Susan was sent to "hell" for wearing lipstick poor thing.

Jeane said...

I do like that cover, I've never seen it before. This was one of my favorites of all the Narnia books, I found the whole thing of the Donkey & the Ape amusing and sad. I don't remember Susan going to hell over lipstick?! Have to read it again.

nessie said...

I read the entire series once when I was a kid and enjoyed it. Not this volume however. TOO RELIGIOUS... it was blatant. I dont know if could ever read it again. I do want to give Silver Chair another try though...

Amanda said...

Nessie, C.S. Lewis' main goal was to entertain, not inform. Even for adults, he wanted them to read the book as "pure strory" first and foremost, thinking symbolically later. :)