Pages

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

The Higher Power of Lucky

by Susan Patron

This is one of my selections for the Newbery Challenge. The Higher Power of Lucky won the Newbery Award for 2006 and received much criticism because it contained the word scrotum. I thought Lucky's foster mother, Brigitte, explained the meaning to the inquisitive 10-year-old in a sensible way.

Lucky is in search of the higher power that she has overheard different members of the 12 step program (AA) discuss at their meetings. She's in desperate need of this power to insure her happiness and to keep her foster mother from returning to France and abandoning her to an orphanage.

This is a beautiful, sweet book that address childhood fears, bravery, and misconceptions. Patron does an excellent job with the characterization. Lucky and her two friends, Lincoln and Miles become real people in just a very short time. I'd like to see other books by Patron that focus on each boy. I'm sure they would be every bit as touching as Lucky's story.

11 comments:

Heather said...

What a wonderful cover!

Alyson said...

I really want to read this one. Someday (hahaha) I might actually have time to read.

Anonymous said...

Oh, just reading this description puts a lump in my throat! I might have to pick it up.

Booklogged said...

Heather, I like the cover, too. It ties in with the story and now when I look at it my chin quivers a bit.

Alyson, It's quite short and on CD. Oh, that's right, it's your next car that has a CD player. Darn!

You're going to reap big rewards from all the hours of studying you're putting in. Keep that in mind.

You're a sweetheart to faithfully check out and comment on my reading blog. I appreciate it.

Carrie, I know what you mean. The book does squeeze at the heart, but it also fills it with compassion, hope and strength.

Bookfool said...

I saw this at the library, one day, and I couldn't find my card!! Argh! I'm glad you thought the controversial part was just fine and dandy. Strange the things people get all het up about, isn't it?

Stephanie said...

I haven't read a Newberry I didn't like! I've wanted to read this one every since I read about the huge "controversy" over it!! I just never think about it when I'm at the library!! I need to start writing these things down.....

Anonymous said...

Aww, this sounds like a really sweet one!

Joy said...

I'm really glad you enjoyed this so much because I have it sitting by my nightstand! Hopefully I get to it soon. :)

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you liked this book. I loved it as well, though I know some people haven't quite "gotten it."

Lisa Jean said...

I loved this book too. It was so charming. And the controversy was a lot of whoo ha about nothing I thought.

BookGal said...

I'm looking forward to this one. Thanks for the good review.