Pages

Monday, September 24, 2007

The Cardathon Challenge

Becky at Becky's Book Reviews is a big fan of Orson Scott Card so she's decided to host a challenge featuring him. Since I also like the books that I've read by Card and would like to read some more I'm joining in the fun. Becky has a blog set up just for this challenge. You can get there by click on this link: Cardathon Challenge.

The challenge starts January 2008 and doesn't have a set ending date. This is the basic information for this challenge:
To qualify for the Cardathon Challenge a book needs to meet one of the following criteria:

1) a book written by Orson Scott Card
2) a book edited/compiled by Orson Scott Card
3) a book with an introduction by Orson Scott Card
4) a book reviewed by Orson Scott Card on his official website.

How many books are we talking about? I'd suggest choosing 6-12 books to read. Along with alternates, of course. Always feel free to list more alternates than 'official' choices. Essentially, you could read as many or as few as you wanted. Although, I hope that given a year, you would read at least six books. If you should read all the books on your list, feel free to add more.

How many books must be written by Card? I'd hope that you would choose at least one or two books for your list. But you can choose many other authors as long as they've been mentioned and/or recommended by Card. This leaves the selection process very open-ended, and gives you many, many options.
In addition to the link to Card's official website, Becky also includes a list of all the books he has written, edited, or contributed short stories or written introductions. You can access this list by going to the Cardathon Challenge Blog. Keep in mind that you can also read a book that Card has reviewed on his website.

So, what will I be reading for this challenge? I haven't whittled my choices down to the final selections, but this is the 'long list'.

Books by Card
An Open Book
Hart's Hope
Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus
Invasive Procedures
Treasure Box
Cruel Miracles

Books Reviewed by Card on his Website
Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
Foundation by Isaac Asimov
Goodnight, Irene by Jan Burke (an Irene Kelly mystery)
Memory and Dream by Charles de Lint
The Bone Doll's Twin by Lynn Flewelling
The Darkest Evening of the Year by Dean Koontz
TheMessenger of Truth by Jacqueline Winspear


I can highly recommend Enchantment and Ender's Game, both by Card, to anyone who is planning on join the Cardathon Challenge.

8 comments:

Alyson said...

It's been a while since I commented on your blog, so I wanted to make sure you knew that I was still here reading it. Congrats on completing two challenges, and good luck on this next challenge!! I'm sure you'll do great considering you have a year and you already enjoy Card's books...and you read a ton!!

Kailana said...

I am glad you enjoyed "Enchantment", that is my next planned read. The only Card book I have read is Ender's Game.

How are you liking Mistress of the Art of Death? I see you are reading it according to your 'currently reading' section. I really liked that book when I read it.

Stephanie said...

I'm such a sucker for these challenges!! I joined up for this one since Chris is always gushing about Card!! I haven't read any of his books, but I do have Ender's Game and Enchantment on my list!! (I'm really glad this challenge doesn't start till 2008!)

I also added an Asimov book (Caves of Steel I think) and the Bone Doll's Twin, since it's just sitting on my shelf WAITING for me to read it!!

Melissa said...

Interestingly enough, I haven't read any of those Card books. I'm curious to see what you think of them. :)

Cath said...

I'm joining the Cardathon challenge too but have yet to sort out any books except the first, which is Ender's Game. I've read nothing whatsoever by Card so I'm eager to start. I *hope* I'm going to like the first book and will go now and see what Enchantment is about.

jenclair said...

I'm putting Enchantment on my list for the challenge. I've just finished Homebody by Card and have a copy of Treasure Box (both fit the R.I.P. challenge)and plan on rereading Ender's Game.

I enjoyed The Bone Doll's Twin several years ago and had planned to read the next in the Tamir Triad, but failed to follow up on my good intentions and now have forgotten most of the first book!

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

This is a cool idea for a challenge. I've actually got a few of his books on Mt. TBR, but I'm too backlogged right now (for a change!) to officially join in. :(

Debi said...

I've never read Card, and I keep trying not to join this challenge. (Wonder how long it will take until I give in though.) But I'm definitely going to read Ender's Game one of these days.