Pages

Friday, September 14, 2007

Bones

by Jan Burke

I've discovered another author that I am going to want to read more of her work. This book runs along the same lines as a Dean Koontz book. Lots of intrigue and a heart-thumping pace. Sometimes the line between a cozy mystery and a regular mystery is vague and hard to define. No question about this book - It is NOT a cozy.

This is book 5 or 6 in the Irene Kelly mystery series. I've already got the first in the series mooched and it's on its way. Irene is a journalist included as part of an expedition to find the bones of a woman murder 4 years earlier. Also in the group is the murderer. Right at the first the reader knows who the murderer is and so does everyone in the group. He has made a plea bargain for a life sentence, instead of a death sentence, if he will show them the grave.

The only thing I didn't like about the book was the number of characters. I wasn't the only one having trouble keeping everybody straight, another person who had checked out this book before me had written the names of all the people on the investigative team on the back blank page. Oh, he/she had also blackened out the 8-10 bad swear words in the book!

I liked the suspense and a couple of unexpected twists and even though I figured out the accomplice long before the end, I still enjoyed reading to see if I was correct. I think Jan Burke is a good writer and look forward to reading more in this series.

9 comments:

Literary Feline said...

I got a chance to hear Jan Burke speak at the book festival last spring and was interested enough to add one of her books to my TBR collection. It's still there unread for the moment though. I'm glad to hear you read one of her books and enjoyed it. :-)

Eva said...

When I saw the book, I immediately thought of the TV series "Bones." I rented the first dvd of the first season from Blockbuster and I really enjoyed it. Then my blockbuster account went all weird, so I have to wait to fix it before I can see more episodes.

All of that is a long way of saying that I'll have to look into the series!

Joy said...

I just checked into this author and for the first book in this series B&N says it is a "soft-boiled mystery". I may add it to my list of possibilities for the 1st in a Series Challenge. Thanks for the recommendation.

jenclair said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I've enjoyed all of the ones by Burke that I've read (everything the library has). Joy's description of "soft-boiled" is perfect.

Anonymous said...

They blacked out the swear words?! lol

Sounds like an interesting series!

Cath said...

I see you're reading Mistress of the Art of Death. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Stephanie said...

Oh...this sounds really good. A cozy crossed with Dean Koontz sounds like a recipe for a book that I would love!! Thanks for a great review!!

And yet another title gets added to my TBR list!! I actually ended up putting a notebook by the computer so I could remember all the recommendations I was getting in the blogging world!! It's filling up fast!

Booklogged said...

Lit, I would love to hear Jan Burke discuss her books. I look forward to your thoughts when you do get to that book pining away on your shelf.

Eva,I learned about the tv series just recently. I wonder if there is a connection. Will have to do some research.

Joy, I'm going to order or mooch the first one - it may be 'soft-boiled' but the one I read was a little more 'cooked' than that.

Jenclair, hmmm...I need to read one of her earlier ones to determine if I understand the term 'soft boiled.'

Heather, can you believe that?! I think that person needs to stick with cozies.

Cath, I am really enjoying Mistress of the Art of Death. It paints a wonderful picture of the time period. And it's quite funny. Only about 1/3 of the way in so far.

Stephanie, I'm keeping my TBR list on the computer. Have had in on an spreadsheet, but am transferring it to LibraryThing.

BookGal said...

I'm glad you discovered this series. It was recommended to me by a friend who is a mystery writer. I've enjoyed all of the Irene Kelly stories. Since you started with a later one, some of the characters may make more sense when you go back to the beginning. I do have to say that this one was my favorite in the series.